Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Disruptive Change
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@cs.jhu.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:58:54 -0400

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 20:47, n4202317 wrote:
> What about id Software?
>
> Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake and Quake II were all profitable, all initial
> engineering was done in-house, and are all now open-source products.

If I recall correctly, each of these were initially developed as
proprietary products that were later released as open source. ROI
recovery was accomplished during the proprietary phase.

This is not a bad model, but it isn't a purely open source model. I
would be reluctant to start a business on the premise that the code
would later be released. Acting on that premise is too subject to the
whims of investors and board members.

Jonathan