Subject: Re: advice sought (really: fundraiser status)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:46:14 +0900

    L> If what you are doing is challanging concepts of community or
    L> other social science fundamentals contact social behavioral and
    L> economic sciences in NSF.

I doubt Tom is interested in getting the degrees and other
qualifications in social science to make that work.  I've done the NSF
referee thing, and at least in the economics section we were
instructed that if they don't talk the talk, they had better have
documented evidence that they're walking the walk (ie, solved models,
preferably published == retroactive funding of previous research).

Everything else you suggest is plausible in my limited experience.

Listen to Jean, Tom.  (Although you've been around that loop, I bet,
most likely you did in CS/IT.  Despite my pessimism about SBES,
interdisciplinary stuff does get funded, and if you get in early in a
new program, it's a matter of luck of the draw vis-a-vis reviewers).