Subject: the ultimate posting on arch
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:23:43 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, I'm tired of hearing about arch, and Tom Lords's difficulties.
It is clear that all the extremely good advice he is getting is going
in one ear and out the other.  So, to help Tom ponder the advice he
has already gotten, I have temporarily removed his posting privileges.
Perhaps if he speaks less he'll be able to listen more.  He's still
subscribed to the mailing list, so feel free to offer him advice on
how to be a businessman rather than a coder.  Just like I'm going to
do:

Rule #1 for FSBs: people pay for benefits, not features.  This flows
directly from the liberal (note to Tilly: leftists want people to
think they are "liberals", but we're taking it back) economists who
discovered that fundamentally, people don't want goods; but instead
the services they receive from having those goods.  All value is,
then, derived from services.

So, I don't care how beautiful your architecture is; what can I do
with what you are building?  That translates reasonably well into
Tiemann's rule of thumb that "users rule and developers drool" (he
said *something* like that, anyway).

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | businesses persuade