Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:18:31 -0500

On Saturday 14 September 2002 07:16, Claus Sørensen wrote:
> You don't have to put the source code a long the binary product that you
> sell, give away or can be downloaded for free or not. But you should
> give a written offer for users to get the source code for no more costs
> than the distribution cost.

         Actually, it has to be for any 3rd party.  Well, if it's all his original
code he can do what he wants, it's only if he incorporates GPL'ed code

> You could also have a shareware version which has some limitations or
> irritations for people who has not bought the GPL version (free
> software is not gratis software).

     Well, don't expect that to work for long.  I'm sure someone will
put the code somewhere on the Net (as they can under the GPL).
Now, if we were talking about corporate customers, maybe not.
But there are plenty of people who give out proprietary software when they
have paid for it and it is illegal; why wouldn't they when it is legal?

Lynn