Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:28:19 -0500

On Sunday 15 September 2002 11:41, La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll wrote:
> Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:
> > On Saturday 14 September 2002 07:16, Claus Sørensen wrote:
> > > You don't have to put the source code a long the binary product that you
> > > sell, give away or can be downloaded for free or not. But you should
> > > give a written offer for users to get the source code for no more costs
> > > than the distribution cost.
> >
> >          Actually, it has to be for any 3rd party.  Well, if it's
> > all his original code he can do what he wants, it's only if he
> > incorporates GPL'ed code
>
> The offer of source code under the GPL ONLY applies to folks who you
> supply binaries to.  Or did you mean something else?

     Look at section 3b) again.  It clearly says "to give any third party".
     But the GPL only applies if you are redistributing code you got
under the GPL.  Otherwise he can do what he wants.

> I think there are folks on this list who could give more accurate
> data, but I believe that Cygnus distributed the EGCS tool chain this
> way for many years.  It did not become widely available until Cygnus
> released it themselves.

   That would be most interesting as long as their customers weren't
businesses seeking competitive advantage.  I suppose I should have
been more clear about that than the (inaccurate) "corporate customer",
but I thought it would be understood.  My mistake.

Lynn