Subject: Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 97 12:50 PST

>> You suggest that Cygnus should put the GNUPro release up for FTP, but
>> why should Cygnus do that?  It is a cost to Cygnus for no benefit.
>
> They should because the GPL requires them to.  I'm surprised nobody
> has shaken a lawyer at them yet.

The GPL does not require anyone to distribute anything, or distribute it in
any particular way.  It only says that IF one distributes something that is
governed by the GPL, THEN certain things happen.  It certainly doesn't say
"If you sell the software on CD-ROMs, you also have to make it available for
FTP."  (Anyone can buy a copy and do that.)

I don't know what the GNUPro release has in it, but if it consists of GPL'ed
software "aggregated" with other software on the release medium, or combined
with other software such that "identifiable sections" of the combined
software "can reasonably be considered independent and separate works", and
if the GPL'ed and other software are "distributed as separate works", the
GPL does not require Cygnus to put the other software under the GPL.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734