Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Danese Cooper <Danese.Cooper@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:40:43 -0700

At the risk of being flamed, I must point out that Sun
runs several FSBs.  Most follow our preferred FSB of
transparent co-development with a community of both
Sun and non-Sun members to produce a zero-cost
and a Sun-branded version of the same software under
various Free and Open Source licenses.

When I explain the relationship between OpenOffice.org 1.0
and StarOffice 6.0 I usually say it is similar to that of Debian
Linux and RedHat Linux (potentially imperfect analogy,
since I'm not certain that RedHat starts with Debian, but you
hopefully you get my drift ;-).

The projects that fit this model are OpenOffice.org, NetBeans
and GridEngine.  Links to all of our projects can be found
on SunSource.net.

We also host a very successful project that to date does not
include a Sun-branded distro, and that is Jxta.

Of course Sun also has many proprietary projects, and
even if we converted all of our current proprietary software
development to FSBs, we would still wish to offer a branded
version because providing enterprise support for a branded
version is much more straightforward and can actually be
profitable.

So, are these FSBs or not?

Danese