Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:36:59 +0100

Rich Morin:
> Ahem.  Both the FSF and Microsoft restrict the manner in which their
> IP gets used.  So, for that matter, does ORA.

Wait! I'm an ORA author. I was asked under what terms I wanted my work to be
available. There was no coercion. If ORA restricts the IP, it's on my
instructions.

> So, I don't really accept Tim's assertion.  The FSF's coercion is
> pretty tame by comparison to the well-documented predations of M$.

Again, untrue. The FSF's coercion strategy has changed over the years, but
the current one is to coerce software projects to license themselves under
the "GPL version 2.0 or any future versions".

Of course, since the FSF writes any future versions, you're expected to
license your work in perpetuity to any terms the FSF decides to set in the
future. That's one hell of a commitment.

You claim the FSF wants to restrict the manner in which their IP gets used.
This isn't true. They want to restrict the manner in which *your* and *my* IP
gets used.

Not even Microsoft stoops so low.

--
So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,