Subject: Re: Recommendations for Basic Economics Guide.
From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:01:08 +0100

Hi Russ,

> Ralph Corderoy writes:
>  > Having lurked on this list for a while it's clear that a big
>  > shortfall in my knowledge is that of economics.  Putting aside the
>  > jokes about three economists and four opinions has anyone got any
>  > suggestions for books covering the topic?
>
> Economics or accounting?  As a generality, economists don't care about
> a single business.

I think I'm OK on the basics of accounting;  balance sheets, profit and
loss, etc., and have done the paperwork side of a Limited company in the
UK including payroll for the last six years.

It's more the national or international effects of interest rates,
inflation/deflation, strength of local currency, imports/exports,
balance of payments, devaluation (I didn't live through Callaghan's
devaluation of sterling by about 14% in 1967), etc., that I'd like to
get a handle on.

Take this short article from _The Times_ as an example.

    Cut rates to prevent deflation, says Julius
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-5-447308,00.html

I'd like the few bits it mentions to be second nature instead of having
to re-read a paragraph a few times.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.  I've built up a list for
the next trip to the local Borders bookshop.

Cheers,

Ralph.