Subject: up2date
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:13:54 -0800 (PST)

I'm curious about the legal structure of Red Hat's update services.

Are subscribers legally bound to _not_ redistribute the service
(perhaps via a P2P network)?  If so, how is that reconciled with the
GPL?

The reason for my asking is that it seems to me that, with the
update-based model, RH is striving to implement vendor (or
small-number-of-vendors) lock-in, at the cost of product quality --
which would seem to be outright hostile to the promise of free
software for empowering customers.  Redistribution is a _partial_
solution that is easy to implement.

Related to this: what are the opinions on the list regarding binary
vs. source-based distributions?

[insert famous gilmore internet quote here]
-t