Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:14:41 -0800 (PST)

> I don't think that FS innovation is absent.  It just isn't celebrated
> enough.  And it isn't followed through enough.  The follow through and
> commercialization often comes from non-free businesses who cherry pick the
> ideas and take them to the next level.  It's not the innovation that's hit
> or miss, but the commercialization of that innovation.

So true!  The innovation itself is a service, but unless it finds the
right people, it doesn't go anywhere.  At the vintage computer
festival this weekend the winning exhibit was a Xerox desktop
publishing network demo given by one of the mesa programmers who
worked on it.  I think everyone who sat down and took the time to see
how innovative, elegant, and functional that system was (and is) had
to breath a sigh of pity for Xerox and the computing industry as a
whole.  Instead of feeling sorry for WinUsers I had a chance to feel
sorry for myself!

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678