Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:14:49 -0800 (PST)

> If I can dodge the question of defining an FSB, I think
> that it does.  A large part of the promise of OSS for the
> consumer is that it provides protection against vendor
> monopolies.  This limits vendors to a crumb from the
> theoreticaly potential for that market simply because of
> the bargaining disparity.
>
> Of course a crumb from a big market may be sizeable
> enough.  And the FSB opportunity may lead to opportunities
> in other markets.  But make no mistake, any FSB has to
> understand that OSS dynamics put consumers in a very
> strong bargaining position.  You need to work with that
> dynamic, not against it.

$ Dodge

You cannot dodge.  Your name is yahoo.  You are in a small underground
room.  A cold breeze circulates from the impassable grate above to the
entrance, which is blocked by an FSB.  Google has a crumb, and intends
to eat your lunch.  IBM sits in a corner and eats whopping loaves of
rye with cheese and beer.

$ _

We really do have to figure out what an FSB is one of these days.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678