Subject: Definition of an FSB
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:30:35 -0800 (PST)

I made a list of characteristics that Tim could have used to
categorize FSB's:

*Reliance* on Free Software:
	   Revenue
	   Strategic
	   None
Connection with Free Software *ideology*:
	   Espouses
	   Disregards
	   Hostile
Connection with Free Software *community*:
	   Part
	   Cooperates
	   None

I think any combination of these could be used to define a useful
category.  Tim already defined a bunch of them.  The three categories
I am most interested I would call:

1) FSB Reliant

Reliance: Revenue or Strategic
Ideology: Any
Community: Any

2) FSB Cooperative

Reliance: Revenue
Ideology: Espouses or Disregards
Community: Part or Cooperates

3) FSB Representative

Reliance: Revenue
Ideology: Espouses
Community: Part

A business that is FSB-Representative is also therefore also FSB
Cooperative and FSB-Reliant.  Google is FSB Reliant.  RedHat is FSB
Representative.

IMHO, the most important characteristic, and the hardest to nail down,
is reliance.  I would say that any true FSB is reliant in some way on
Free or Open Source Software.

FSB: A commercial enterprise which depends on the use of free or open
source software for substantial monetary or strategic gain.

OSB: See FSB.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678