Subject: Re: Successful FSBs a pov
From: Chip Mefford <cpm@well.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:24:52 -0800 (PST)

Good day all;

I lurk here, and have for some time.

I am not so skilled in any facet of the
disiplines discussed in this long running
thread to really contribute. However, I do
wish to front a point of view.

This is a pov, and I won't defend it or
argue it. So please, just take it for what
it's worth.
-----

I have no large scale enterprise experience. I do
have decades working in shops from 3 folks to
over a hundred, in all kinds of capacities. These
shops did all kinds of stuff, usually some level
of fabrication, or sales of fabricating services
or something that involves having a real shop
with real shop folks with real tools, A sales
department, an administrative department, bookkeeping,
accounting, design, engineering, all that.

I can say, that in my humble life, the biggest
obstacle to the adoption of free software,
let me restate,
The Biggest Obstacle to Adoption of Free Software,
is, , ,

software piracy.

Again, I can't speak to the compliance rate of large
corporate enterprise networks, but in small to medium
business, the compliance with Microsoft's licenses
is abysmall.

I am of the firm opinion that if folks had to comply
with the licenses they disregard with impunity,
we would all see a great many more Successful
FSBs.

That's all.

Lurking again.