Subject: Re: terms
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 97 09:15 PST

> This would seem to exemplify a major problem in making free software
> successful - I never hear any stories about the boss making the
> programmers use free software.  The folks who understand the benefits
> of free software are not the decision makers.
>
> Or, in other words, nobody ever got fired for buying microsoft.

That's an instance of a much bigger problem in the industry than the issue
of freed vs. non-freed software: that substantive decisions are mostly made
by people who don't understand the content or the processes of what they're
making decisions about.

Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but it's sometimes possible to
be a hero (and get some credibility for the future) by getting results some
other way if you don't have an ignorant or willful boss breathing down your
neck.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734