Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:52:10 -0800 (PST)

       seth:

       > If I tried to use NFS/AFS/Andrew to run desktop applications over a
       > link
       > with this kind of latency, what kind of performance would I see?

You can't use NFS for this, which is a large part of why AFS came
about.  I don't have a cite at my fingertips -- but it shouldn't be
hard for you to find the first Usenix conference papers about AFS
which discuss this in great detail and report lots of interesting
measurements.  (AFS originated under the original umbrella of "The
Andrew Project" so saying "NFS/AFS/Andrew" is a little confused.)

You don't hit the net for every file -- you mostly experience local
disk speeds.

My understanding is that modern AFS descendents have even better
support for smart caching and delayed write-back.

Update services are a poor-hacker's cousin to this arrangement, but
they are only for RPMs, don't handle write-back, don't give you
fs-style access from everywhere, etc.   But in terms of the
performance you'd see firing up your editor -- it'll be the same as if
you fetched the editor via an update service from time to time: local
disk speeds.

-t