Subject: Re: a stocks and dividends question
From: "Jerry Dwyer" <gdwyer@dwyerecon.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 08:09:49 -0500

From: robin <robin@roblimo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:22:11 -0500

>Another question that needs to be asked repeatedly, especially in the
>Free Software context: "What is success?"
>
>Is it necessarily all about money? Are there other things in life that
>might be more important? Are we, indeed, just little robotic fixtures
>that exist only to perform statistical functions in defined roles as
>"consumers" or "investors" or "workers"?  Or is there more to life --
>and work -- than this?

It's not all about money, but it helps to have it when you go to pay the kid's tuition
at school or buy a new CPU. It is all about money for some people, and maybe even such
people are over-represented at the top levels of firms, but everyone has to pay the
bills. I have worked at various places, although not software firms. Most people are
not all that different than me and (I imagine) you in most ways. Some people are greedier
than I am, but some people are willing to live on a lot less than will buy what I want
to have and use.

I doubt that it's all about money for many people on this list, if any. In fact, this
list exists because it is not obvious how one can pay the bills and write free software.

Doing what you like is not always easy, but it's not that hard to figure out what to
do. Earning a living while you're doing what you like is harder to figure out.

Jerry