Subject: Re: Interesting "almost open source" Microsoft tactic
From: "La Monte H.P. Yarroll" <piggy@timesys.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:59:34 -0500

Russell Nelson wrote:

> >     Benjamin> They have apparently applied for a patent or patents
> >     Benjamin> (this is unclear) on their proposal.  And they offer a
> >     Benjamin> license for it.
> >
> > Good.  This should squash implementation.  :-)
>
>Yup.  It's neither perpetual nor sublicensable.

It looks like the same patent license included with their office file
format documents.

Its very clear that they are attempting to be GPL compatable.

The inability to sublicense just confuses me.  It isn't as if there is a
license registration procedure.

--
  Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell's sig