Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: "Anthony Long" <along@flexiety.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:55:07 -0800 (PST)

<quote who="Russell Nelson">
> Anthony Long writes:
>  > Do people think it would help the image of Sun to donate the
>  > OpenOffice.org codebase and project to a non-profit consortium made up
>  > of key players such as Sun, Red Hat, Novell, and others who have a
> stake
>  > in OpenOffice.org?  Would this help increase code contributions from
>  > other corporations and individual volunteers?
>
> Why not just donate it to the Mozilla Foundation, or the Gnome
> Foundation, or the Open Source Initiative, or the Public Software
> Fund, or the Free Software Foundation?  What purpose would another
> non-profit serve?

I believe there are legal issues with donating it to Mozilla (fall outside
scope of charter).  I don't think OSI does this sort of thing.  FSF has
certain political views that are not necessarily consistent with our
mission.  Don't know much about the Public Software Fund.

Another issue to consider is what would happen to the Sun paid developers
if one of your scenarios played out?  It's not like there are many (if
any) developers outside of those paid by Sun that know the code intimately
to advance it further than it is today.  Would the Public Software Fund be
able to bear the costs of 100 or so developers?