Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:26:49 -0500

> Are you familiar with what happened with minix?

No, other than it seemed to have real limitations, and it got bypassed
by the first ports of bsd to the 386 and was never heard from again.

> there are no truely competent people who can write a good word
> processor and are willing to get the job done.  Writing a word
> processor is apparently not something that attracts competent
> hackers.

...for the current varieties of compensation offered to free software
writers.  What other sorts of compensation can we come up with that
draw upon the strengths of the free software community?  100,000
people each donating a dollar?

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org