Subject: Re: Bounty for Bugs in Open Source Projects?
From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:58:34 -0500

     > Eventually, perhaps something is finished - and the novice (half
     > starving, now) has to figure out whether to give it away, or try to
     > charge for it.

   That'd be a great sentiment if the habits of the market were genuinely
   aligned with what actually makes sense, other than things that make
   sense as a way to screw up computing systems globally, forever.

   There's no market for good free software innovations, at the moment.
   Not in any generic sense.   We are collectively quite pathetic, in
   that regard.

I imagine that if
 I developed something "really cool" but didn't release the program or
 the source code, and then gave a public demo of the software and
 offered to sell the code under the terms of the GPL,
then
 I might be able to drum up some "subscriptions" before releasing the
 code.

Supposing for example that I insisted that I needed 100 subscriptions
at $10 a piece (or the cash equivalent) before I would deliver the
code to anyone.  I bet I could raise $1000 this way _if_ the program
in question was cool enough.

Otherwise, what you're saying is that there is no market for cool
stuff.  Which might be true, but... that isn't what you're saying, is
it?