Subject: Re: OT: any caveats about e-currency?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2005 15:55:17 -0700

Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> writes:

> I've had someone ask (relevant to some possible contract work):
>
>     Would you accept payment in the form of e-currency such as
>     e-gold (http://www.e-gold.com)?
>
> I don't know anything about these folks, nor (particularly) how
> to find out if they are reliable, legal, hassle-free, etc.  Can
> anyone tell me about possible problems, caveats, etc?

I don't have any personal experience with e-gold.  Still, frankly, as
far as I am concerned getting paid with e-gold or any of their ilk
would be like getting paid with Myanmar kyat.  It's fine if you happen
to be in Myanmar.  It's not so handy anywhere else.  If you expect to
buy stuff directly from the relatively few merchants who accept
e-gold, then there is no problem getting paid in e-gold.  Otherwise,
you are just going to have to transfer it into real currency.  Do you
really want to deal with that?  At least make sure you get paid more
for the hassle.

It's all very nice to say that gold is real money, but, frankly, money
is in the eye of the beholder.  Once upon a time, before I was born, I
could have bought my pizza with gold.  Today, I can't.  The reality is
that gold, while still valuable, is no longer money.

Ian