Subject: Re: Thoughts on GPL
From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@cygnus.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:28:52 -0800

    > I asserted that GPL does not support innovation.  To make a long story
    > short, this is because it provides no means to recover development costs on
    > basic innovation.
    >
    > [... Cygnus contract with HaL ...]

Jon's argument is circular.  He asserts that he sold Cygnus short on
what we could deliver, and when we did deliver, we merely confirmed his
theory.  The free software model supports innovation as well or better
than proprietary models...its just that we're so busy ramping up to the
initial opportunities we created for ourselves that we haven't had much
time to do a lot of random speculative work.

Michael