Subject: a different model - "publish or pay"
From: Daniel Nachbar <nachbar@public-software.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:25:29 -0500

Keith Bostic writes:
> ... But if someone's not
> sharing an epiphany they had last week out of shyness, I urge
> them to come forward... :-)

Well, since you ask . . .
I've been pondering an idea I call "publish or pay."
I talked with several members of this list individually about
it so I apologize in advance for repeating myself in this forum.

The short version of the story:
Free use, modification and redistribution in source is allowed.
The difference lies in how one deals with private derived works.
The crux of the idea is to split the difference between the BSD and
GPL approaches.  Rather than having use in private software at
no cost (BSD/LGPL) or infinite cost (GPL), charge what the
market will bear.

Developers will have an incentive to make their derived works
free, but they can support free software even if they choose to
keep their own work private.

A longer winded version of this idea can be found at
http://www.public-software.org/licensing/

Dan Nachbar
Public Software Institute