Subject: Economics of software distribution
From: Christopher Maeda <cmaeda@ERNST.MACH.CS.CMU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 93 01:36:39 EST

   Date: Wed, 17 Mar 93 10:17:36 JST
   From: nick@NSIS.CL.NEC.CO.JP (Gavin Thomas Nicol)

   Actually, I think the main reasons are pretty much as you say, though
   the startup costs must also play a part.

   However, I feel that slowly, but surely, the mass-market will be
   catered to. Look at Linux and 386bsd. They are already being sold on
   CDROM. Sooner or later, someone will make a complete version,
   shrink-wrapped, with manuals, and I suspect that of the price is
   right, and they do their marketing well, they will make money.

This is probably true, but they will only be making money because they
didn't have to fund the software development.