Subject: Is netscape license open source
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jsshapiro@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:48:47 -0400

At the risk of starting another debate, I want to ask whether the
netscape license is deemed Open Source.

It seems to me that when you combine sections 2.1 and 2.2 with section
3, you arrive at a situation where nobody else can build proprietary
value, but Netscape still can.  Remember that Netscape is not a
"Contributor" under the terms of this license.

Netscape, then, could bolt in some new piece of proprietary stuff,
take everyone else's contributions as gravy, and run with them.

If you wish to look, the license can be found at

	http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/annotated.html

It strikes me that if I read the Open Source terms strictly enough,
the Netscape license meets the letter but not the intent.

Have I failed to understand something?

shap