Subject: Re: open source definition
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 15:50:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Peter Deutsch wrote:
> And as for the licensing, there is nothing compulsory
> about it from the creator's perspective. If you want to
> create a piece of music and release it without charging
> royalties, you are free to do so. What you can't do it use
> it without the creator's permission.

In the US, there is a compulsory license for sound recordings.  If you
write a song, record it, and release it, your recording is pretty much
under your control copyrightwise.  However, if someone else wants to
record the song and release their recording of it (also known as
`covering' your song), you are required to sell them a license to do
so.  I'm not sure what terms you're required to license it under, but
it is indeed compulsory.

Kragen