Subject: Re: open source definition
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@wiwi.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:10:31 +0200

   Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:06:56 -0400
   From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jsshapiro@earthlink.net>

   If you can guarantee enough signal degradation in the copying process,
   however, you WANT people to copy your stuff because it encourages
   album sales.

Hey, that's an idea!  We can insert bugs in the code during the
copying process -- that should encourage software sales!

My experience is that people buy hardcopies of music because they want
to own copies of their favorite music which has the properties of
portability, and playability on a wide range of equipment.

Note that people pay to get this music one way or the other -- those
that require portability (like my studio friends) make copies of CD's
using $3,000+ computers and $800+ CD-ROM burners.  All of the copies
that people I know make are for their own personal use; if someone
wants to make a present of purchasable music to a friend, they
buy the CD in a store, and give the friend the full packaging,
including the liner notes, etc.

Brian