Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: peterd@Bunyip.Com (Peter Deutsch)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:51:28 -0400

[ You wrote: ]
.  .  .
>  > Well, in their defense, Sun does have alternatives,
>  > especially Java and now Jini, etc. If they play their
>  > cards right they can survive this better than most other
>  > UNIX-based commercial vendors. Still, I obviously agree
>  > with your basic view on the impact of Linux.
>
> I think that s/commercial/proprietary/g is more accurate.  Caldera,
> Redhat, S.u.s.e, Stampede, are all commercial purveyors of Linux,
> which I think everyone agrees is not proprietary.

I actually was thinking about the other proprietary UNIXen
(from IBM, Dec, etc) so in your terminology I agree I
should have said "proprietary UNIX vendors", excluding the
Linux packagers. My point was that Linux/Redhat/et.al.
are more aa threat to Sun/Dec/IBM/etc than they're a
threat to Microsoft right now, since it's having more of
an impact on the server/developer market than on the
desktop market. I'd love to see this change, but right
now, not many desktop machines come rebundled with Linux,
or anything other than Windows9*.

					- peterd

     Peter Deutsch,                                   (514) 875-8611  (phone)
  Bunyip Information Systems Inc.                     (514) 875-8134  (fax)
    <peterd@bunyip.com>                               http://www.bunyip.com

"How come there's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?"