Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: "University-style" vs "Berkeley" licenses
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:38:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Robert A. Bruce wrote:
> UCB threatened to sue
> us for including a program called "tkman" on one of our CDROMs, that had
> a similar anti-advertising copyright.  I have no idea why they focused
> on that particular program,

I don't know whether this was the case at the time that you ran into
this trouble, but tkman 2.0.3 is under a much more restrictive
copyright -- essentially "free for non-commercial distribution".  I
quote from README-tkman:

	Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
	and its documentation for educational, research, internal
	corporate and non-profit purposes, without fee, and without a
	written agreement is hereby granted for all cases that do not
	conflict with the restriction in the first sentence of this
	paragraph, provided that the above copyright notice, this
	paragraph, and the following three paragraphs appear in all
	copies.

	Permission to incorporate this software into commercial
	products may be obtained from the Office of Technology
	Licensing, 2150 Shattuck Avenue, Suite 510, Berkeley, CA
	94704.

This may have had something to do with why UCB chose to threaten you
over that particular program.

(I believe UCB is requiring a license like this on a lot of its
software these days.)

Kragen

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web