Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@metahtml.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:15:15 -0700

   Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:10:48 -0400
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   > If I were a book author, should I be able to legally bind my readers
   > to send me a copy of any notes they make in the margins of one of my
   > books?

   I don't think book comparisons are very enlightening.  Software is an
   IP unto itself because it is functional as well as literary, and has
   source code separate from the presentation the user sees.

Well, just make the book analogy more technical:

As the suthor of a textbook on the application of mathematical
algorithms to specific business problems, should I be able to legally
bind my readers to send me a copy of the implementations that they
create from my algorithms?

Brian