Subject: Re: Can open source cost money?
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@metahtml.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:36:56 -0700

   Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:21:55 -0400
   From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>

   I want to monitor once, at purchase time.  After an ordinary purchase
   transaction (which could be electronic to lower costs, but that's a
   side issue), the user gets binaries, source, an authentication cookie,
   and license to run and privately maintain one copy of the software.

You mean,
     "the user gets binaries, source [modified to exclude the source to the
      authentication module, and the calls to it ]"

which isn't libre software.

Almost instantly, you have a netscape browser "source" distribution,
with which you can build a version of the browser which isn't as rich
as the binary.

   The user is required to redistribute mods to the core developer
   company.

If, and only if, they distribute them to anyone else, right?
Such "requirements" always seem superflous to me.  If I am restricted
by the license to give source away to whomever I give binaries away
to, why does the "core" developer (I love that expression, since many
of my programs specifically produce core files as output) need a
special clause to receive the source mods?

Brian