Subject: Re: Linux and GPL vs BSD debate.
From: Magnus Redin <redin@signum.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:05:03 +0200

Hi!

> Did Red Hat choose Linux for the same reasons?  I'm wondering if Red
> Hat didn't choose Linux and chose one of the BSD's, would Linux
> still come out on top?

It would not have changed much for Signum Support. We started our
Linux business with reselling Yggdrasil in 93 and using it as a base
for our linux consulting. Yggdrasil Plug and Play Linux development
slowed down and we switched to Slackware that were gaining in
popularity and it was also technically better. Then did the Slackware
development slow down and we switched to Red Hat that were gaining in
popularity and it was also technically better. We will probably switch
again if Red Hat sags, I got a little worried by the bugs in 5.1 :-(
Perhaps S.U.S.E or Debian will prove to be better in the near future?
I dont know. The only thing binding us more then before is RPM since
we have gained a fair bit of knowledge about it and is using it to
build small custom distributions for built-in systems.

But the point is realy that we dident notice any alternative when we
choosed Linux and there were already a momentum when Red Hat started
to be popular.

Regards,
---
Free software - Ibland får man mer än vad man betalar för.
Magnus Redin  redin@signum.se  http://www.signum.se/