Subject: Re: Motivating support contracts
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:59:04 -0400

Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com> wrote:
 > When I discuss the price of software, I often get the response that
 > program Y only costs $99 (or $45, or $9, or whatever programs of that
 > type are costing this week) which is cheap, and why am I making a fuss?
 > I care because as a purchaser I want the cost of software to approach
 > the price to create it, not to float up to some marketing-derived
 > disposable income-related price.

I always want "price less than or equal to (perceived) value to me" when
I make a purchase.  I wouldn't really care how much it costs to produce
it.  If the producer spent $1K on something he/she can only sell to 10
people and the product is only worth $10 to them, the producer deserves
to go out of business.

If it turns out that the producer sells 1000 copies, should he/she send
a $9 refund to each of the purchasers?  I don't think any business should
work like that.  One should be rewarded for having a vision (spotting the
niche).
--
Bill Cheng // bill.cheng@acm.org <URL:http://bourbon.cs.umd.edu:8001/william/>