Subject: Re: Urban Legends about Free Software
From: tiemann@CYGNUS.COM
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 93 12:31:45 -0700

This is a timely request:

    To overcome these objections, a standard reprint, article, etc., that
    briefly but definitively mows down these straw men could turn the
    tide.  It should be short, but must be fact-filled and well
    researched.

    For example, on the ridiculous claim that copylefted software is
    legally problematical for the user, the article should point out how
    light the obligations are, and how copylefters are not litigious,
    gladly settling once the infraction is corrected, which it can be at
    little or no expense.  I believe it is the fact no one has ever been
    sued for a violation of the copyleft.

The latest issue of the Free Software Report has an article I wrote
entitled "Free Software And The Law", and debunks all this stuff.  To
subscribe, send mail fsr@cygnus.com.

Michael