Subject: Re: Estimating investments in Linux and other libre software
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:44:00 -0500 (EST)

On 3 Nov 1998, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> In principle I agree that this sort of thing would be a good idea.  In
> practice I think the free software development pool is relatively
> small and relatively idiosyncratic compared with the pool of people
> who contribute to non-profit organizations.

My experience with non-profit organizations has been that lots of
people are willing to "contribute" when that means sending money, but
many fewer people are willing to "contribute" when that means showing
up at a soup kitchen and cooking soup.

> . . .  However, as a programming project, it had to wait until
> one individual had the time, interest, ability, and opportunity.

This happens with charities, too.  The critical scarce resource is
people who are willing to spend *time* on the project, not people who
are willing to spend money on it.

Kragen

We have always been quite clear that Win95 and Win98 are not the systems to
use if you are in a hostile security environment.  -- Paul Leach
The Internet is hostile.                -- Paul Leach <paulle@microsoft.com>