Subject: GPL and trademarks and brandnames...
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 10:14:36 -0500

Hi,

If my company distributes a software package named FOO under GPL, and
if the name FOO is a (software) trademark of my company, is there a
problem?  Do we have to use a different license (such as MPL or a
modified NPL)?

What we would like to do is to put the source code under GPL so that
everyone can use it, modify it and distribute it.  But we want to reserve
the right to stop anyone from selling it under the same name (so others
cannot take advantage of the time and money we spend establishing a
brandname).  But anybody is allowed to sell it under a different name.

Thanks in advance!
--
Bill Cheng // bill.cheng@acm.org <URL:http://bourbon.cs.umd.edu:8001/william/>