Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:59:14 +0100

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Ben Laurie writes:
>  > I have to say I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with the term Open
>  > Source, and think it muddies the water even more than "free software"
>  > does.
>
> Why?

Because it lets people use licences that aren't really free but are
"open source" in some sense. At least, that appears to be happening.

People may have been confused by the two meanings of "free", but
switching to "open" has not, IMO, reduced that confusion and has
introduced vast new areas of uncertainty and doubt.

>  > So, what we need, IMO, if anything, is a free software evangelist (who
>  > isn't totally fixated on GPL).
>
> What ARE you talking about, Ben??  ESR isn't fixated on the GPL by any
> possible measurement, and even RMS acknowledges that MIT-licensed or
> BSD-licensed code is free software.

Ah, but ESR isn't a free software evangelist, he's an (ex?) Open
Source(tm) evangelist, and RMS may acknowledge that MIT-licensed or
BSD-licensed code is free, but he is totally fixated on GPL. That's what
I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Ben.

--