Subject: Re: Do We Need A New Evangelist
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:57:54 -0500 (EST)

Russ Nelson writes:
>  > Because it lets people use licences that aren't really free but are
>  > "open source" in some sense. At least, that appears to be happening.
>
> Like what?

Apple's and OSI's response to Stallman's and Perens's and Akkerman's
criticism of the Open Source branding of the current draft (?) APSL
has not addressed all the issues^W^W^W^Wfixed all the problems.  And
there was the article linked from Slashdot a couple days ago

http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/apsl.html

which pointed out that the current APSL discriminates against groups of
people -- notably, Iraqis and citizens of certain other countries --
and restricts everyone from selling or giving away the software to
those people the APSL discriminates against.

I don't recall whether Jikes and VMailer have been branded as Open
Source, but they have the same termination-clause problem, although I
don't believe they have the other problems.  (I read them briefly a
long time ago and decided I wasn't interested.)

So there is some debate among reasonable and intelligent people about
whether or not the software licensed under the APSL is free software.

We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might
start to think collectively.  What becomes of us still hangs crucially on
how we think individually.  -- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web