Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Scott Goehring <scott@poverty.bloomington.in.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 16:50:27 -0500

"Russell" == Russell Nelson <Russell> writes:

Russell> Then why give it away, with all the accompanying costs?
Russell> People criticize you for doing <X>, they call you and ask for
Russell> help, they send you surface mail, and they send email.  You
Russell> could avoid those costs by giving the software away
Russell> anonymously.  I've never seen anyone do that.  That says (to
Russell> me) that people give away software to get recognition.

First, you're confusing motives for publication with motives for
authorship.  Second, you're ignoring altruism as a motive.  Ayn Rand
aside, people do sometimes do things for the benefit of others without
any expectation of return.

It's arguable that much of the reliance on "reputation" as a motive is
merely an attempt to reattribute altruism to some nonaltruistic motive
so as to be consistent with moral theories that disparage or dismiss
altruism.

A third reason for not giving away code anonymously is a sense of
responsibility for your works; you wrote it, and it's your duty to be
available to answer legitimate inquiries about it.