Subject: Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 17:59:49 +0100

Russell Nelson wrote:
> Ben Laurie writes:
>  > What I'd change in your activities:
>  >
>  > a) reveal your board member selection process
>
> Hmmm...  Well, it comes from b) so I guess these are the same point.
>
>  > b) reveal your deliberations
>
> I'll work on it.
>
>  > c) visibly accept input from the broad community
>
> done deal.

It'd be nice to believe that, but it doesn't really look like it is
happening in anything more than token form.

>  > d) be democratic
>
> It doesn't matter who makes the rules, as long as the rules treat
> everyone fairly.  Calls for democracy usually result when there are
> allegations of unfairness, which is what all your other objections
> address.

It seems to me that if you want to claim to represent me, then you have
to accept my input, like it or not. Not at your discretion, and I
shouldn't have to go around making allegations for it to happen, either.

>  > e) be open
>
> I don't see any difference from b).  Could you explain?

Err. No. It was late :-)

>  > f) find out what people actually want from an "open source" badge, and
>  > implement it
>
> done deal.
>
>  > g) don't assume you know best
>
> Hopefully c) and f) will address that.
>
>  > h) don't make it seem that making money is the main reason we should do
>  > "open source" (I agree with Brian here - saving money is what it is
>  > about, and that's the Great Divide). Maybe this should be a).
>
> Could you say more about this?

I'm not sure what to say, that I haven't said already. I'm not hugely
happy that the emphasis appears to be very much biased towards companies
that make money from free software, instead of towards people/companies
who produce it. My business model for free software does not really
include packaging it (much), but OSI seem hell-bent on promoting that as
The One True Path. This may make you popular with stockmarkets and big
business, but it does it best serve the needs of the consumer? It could
be, for example, that what is really needed is to educate people to be
less impressed by the wrapper and more by the contents...

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html