Subject: Re: "The Open Source Revolution"
From: Michael Stutz <stutz@dsl.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:38:33 -0400 (EDT)

> > Well, probably the best known is the Internet Movie Database, but
> > now that it has been bought by Amazon, who knows what direction
> > it will take.  I'm sure there are many others.

I don't think the IMDb was ever free. I'd have to look at the license again
but the jist of it was something like you could only make copies of the
database for non-commerical purposes and couldn't modify it. I'm sorry I
ever contributed to it.

There aren't many free cooperative databases like these at all right now
(dict.org are working on some interesting free dictionaries), but the time
is ripe for them. Anyone in the position to host a free replacement for the
IMDb?