Subject: Re: proprietary -- a truism
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:31:48 -0400

> I tend to use "source-available" to describe whatever lies between
> "Open Source" and "proprietary."

Are the leading Unix vendors (Sun, HP, IBM) source-available or
proprietary?  You have always been able to buy access to their source
and modify it locally.  Sun is selling source access for profit, but
then so is Cygnus, and probably Red Hat.  How do they differ?

Proprietary control over access to source from Sun, Cygnus, Red Hat
leaks, but these leaks have been designed not to sink the boat.  Each
leak is a different size, and I think measuring this size is important.

I think Microsoft, Sun, Cygnus, Red Hat, and FSF lie along an openness
continuum, but so far the terms we've chosen aren't making this clear.

League for Programming Freedom (LPF) ftp://ftp.uu.net/doc/lpf/patents.text