Subject: "Open Sources" open sourced
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:14:34 -0700

Found at Slashdot (http://slashdot.org/).  Thought I'd mention this as
I'd listed the book in my OSS bibliography/resources list (this was part
of an offline discussion including a number of subscribers to these
lists).  Kudos to O'Reilly for this logical step (and they've more than
made up for the costs in the pennies I've paid them over the years).

_Open Sources_ is a collection of essays describing OSS, open source
software, business models (actual and hypothetical), and philosophies,
with contributions from Eric S. Raymond, Richard Stallman, Michael
Tiemann (Cygnus), Paul Vixie, Linus Torvalds, Larry Wall, our own Brian
Behlendorf, Bruce Perens, Tim O'Reilly, and others.  It will stand as a
classic, wherever this little worldquake takes us.

Find it at (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/toc.html).

Regarding the offline discussion, I'd direct attention to Ted Lewis's
apology (?) and recapitulation of his January, _IEEE Software_ column,
"Asbestos Pajamas" (http://computer.org/computer/BinaryCritic0499.htm).
IMO he makes several of the same mistakes again, though he's being
pushed more toward idiological than factual bases for his arguments.  My
previous comments are relevant in context to Lewis's new piece, and I'll
try to scrap together a bit of time to polish something from what I
wrote for general release.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

    Welchen Teil von "Gestalt" verstehen Sie nicht?

  Web: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/