Subject: Re: Exploring the limits of free software: Cygnus, and GPL
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:46:31 +0900 (JST)

    >> Here's the kicker: if I figure out how to maximize social
    >> benefit, I will probably be able to do the profit maximization
    >> (and any combination in between) as a corollary.

    Jean> And I will guess they are mutually exclusive solutions to
    Jean> the equations that are the question.

Well, you are either drastically underinformed, or you didn't
understand the implicit model at all.  Economics is exactly the the
science of comparing the physically incommeasurable, using man as the
measure of all things.  If that doesn't make sense to you, read any
introductory-level micro textbook; without your understanding of that
fundamental point, we have no common ground for discussion.

If that does make sense to you, then please explain the grounds for
your guess.  I can think of some, but none of them apply as far as I
know.