Subject: Re: New angle on the patent problem
From: shapj@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:08:21 -0400

>> IBM Public Source License. Their acclaimed Jikes (Java compiler) is
>> distributed under it. It's open source compliant.
>
>Familiar with it as "the Jikes license".  Note the rather awkward patent
>construct though -- patents as used in the original source if your
>program includes at least 60% of the original source in a way that it's
>reachable in normal execution of the program.

Just for the record, the current IBM Public Source License bears little
resemblance to the original Jikes license. While I can't really engage in a
debate about IBM's licenses, I do urge you to look at the current license before
beating dead horses.

Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph. D.
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Email: shapj@us.ibm.com