Subject: Re: How do you convince IBM to oppose software patents?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:51:49 +0900 (JST)

    Bernard> On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:26:05AM -0400,
    Bernard> shapj@us.ibm.com wrote:

    >> I don't recall if the numbers have been published externally,
    >> so I'm not comfortable saying what IBM's revenues from patent
    >> licensing are.  Be assured, however, that on a purely economic
    >> basis IBM does not lose money on its patent efforts.  Very VERY
    >> much the opposite.

    Bernard> IBM has a lot of patents on hardware technology, quite
    Bernard> rightly earned.

    Bernard> But the issue is software patents

Please.  He has surely has the inside information he claims.

As for published information, I saw somewhere recently that Microsoft
paid $20 million for a license on IBM's entire patent portfolio.  (I
seem to recall that IBM will make the same deal with anyone who has
$20 million lying around.)  I doubt that MSFT is interested in many of
the hardware patents.

But I am sure that IBM contracts many many licenses, both wholesale
like with MSFT and retail.  I figure that MSFT contract pays for 10
lawyers and support staff for 10 years at a shot.  Not bad for just
one license contract.