Subject: Re: Open Content woes
From: "Ben Tilly" <Ben_Tilly@trepp.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:04:04 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:
> This week, when giving a speech, I asked the audience whether they
> considered "viral" a term of praise or condemnation.  Only a handful
> raised their hands for praise; most of the room considered it
> condemnation.
In what context?

If I stand up in front of a room and ask them whether they consider
"infectious" positively or negatively, only a handful will think of it
positively.  In most contexts it has pejorative overtones, and everyone
knows that.

But if I stand up in front of the same room and ask about its use in the
phrase, "infectious enthusiasm", virtually all will agree that it is a term
of praise there.  It is all in the context.

I would almost describe GPLed software as "free software missionaries" but
too many people think of us as a cult already...

Cheers,
Ben