Subject: Re: "On Virus" -- get real
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:13:54 +0000

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     kms> I'd been leaning toward "persistant" -- the terms of the GNU
>     kms> GPL persist through versions and derivations of the original
>     kms> software.
>
> Personally, I think of the pure public domain software as "persistent"
> free software; it doesn't change or evolve as history moves around it.
>
> And the GPL is "active"; it doesn't passively "persist" through
> derivations, it actively jumps from host to host.

I'm applying "persistant" to the licensing terms, not the software.  The
licensing terms of the GPL persist through the software, whether it is a
copy of the original work, a modification, or a derived work (possibly
utilizing only a very small portion of the original work).  No matter
what else changes, if the work embodies GPL'd code, the GPL persists in
the new work.

It's also a nod to RMS who's been committed to the concept of free
software for all these years.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)