Subject: Re: [ppc-mobo] Re: GNU License for Hardware
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:02:25 -0600 (MDT)

      I know you want to share, and that you can't share Word[1],
    you can't even look at the source.  So what?

So I refuse to have a copy.  If I had a copy, I would be under the
domination of these restrictions.  I escape domination by refusing
to be a user of these programs.

    I know the feeling of being dominated; however, it comes on me when
    people start talking about having the government come and take money
    from me ("software tax").

It seems you really see the concept of freedom in a way that is
completely different from mine.  My conclusions seem absurd to you, as
yours seem absurd to me.  For example, to me it is elementary that a
tax does not restrict my freedom in the same way that a simple
prohibition does.

I can follow most of your logic, it just starts from definitions I do
not use.  In effect, we are thinking with incommensurable concepts.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make my concept of freedom clear to
you except by giving you examples of it.  If you reject the examples,
instead of generalizing them to understand my concepts, I don't know
what to do except give up hoping we will understand each other.

If anyone else is interested in my view of how freedom applies to
software and its use, you can see articles on www.gnu.org.